“Divination is the most sensitive, difficult and perilous branch of Magick.”
“The abuse of divination has been responsible, more than any other cause, for the discredit into which the whole subject of Magick had fallen”.
Aleister Crowley, The Book of Thoth
Divination comes from the Latin word divinatio which means the power of foreseeing. However, it is not an easy thing to characterize and has many definitions.
- Aleister Crowley reduced it to the use of two questions: “Of what are things composed?” and, “How shall we combine them to our greater advantage?“
- The Farrar’s conceived of divination as being “clairvoyance using tools” where it “is the art and science of being aware of facts, objects or situations by psychic means when they are not available to ordinary awareness“(2).
- Golden Dawn Magicians, the Ciceros, it is “the art of uncovering the divine meaning behind chance events“
- Starhawk – “all divinatory techniques work essentially to focus awareness and engage in the heightened intuition and perception that are possible in trance. Today these techniques are not only used for “fortune telling” but as methods of “spiritual and psychological counseling”.
If we were to draw these together we can understand that divination allows us to take an overview of a situation or a thing, to a degree that is not normally possible and, using this knowledge as a basis, it allows the diviner to see a future progression.
This information is then offered to the seeker as analysis and advice.
Learn the Runes:
- Runes – Free Course Start Course Here